Scary Facts (Original article)
- People in the UK drink the 8th most in Europe, less than France & Germany!
- By drinking more than an average of 2 drinks a day you are increasing your risk of getting bowel cancer, and if you drink 3-4 other types of cancer too.
- People are largely unaware of the link between drinking and getting cancer.
Alcohol has become such a part of our society & culture that we’ve forgotten that it can also increase the risk of cancer, unlike smoking which has been largely demonised over the years.
Why is this?
I think it’s probably to do with the amount of influence that the drinks industry has over the media/government etc.
What can we do?
- Suggestions are being made for alcohol to have the same scare labelling as cigarettes.
- Try to be more aware of the fact that alcohol is an addictive drug & carcinogen and use it wisely.